Business Writing Skills
28 February 2017
Date : Tuesday 28/2/2017
Time: 9.30am to 4.30pm
Venue: Scott House, Edinburgh
About the course
Whether beginner or expert, concentrating on your writing skills
can help to sharpen your focus, improve clarity and make your words
more effective whenever you put pen to paper. Learning new
writing techniques can also make the process more efficient,
helping you become more productive in both your writing and
Come on this course to
- Get useful hints and tips for writing well in a style to suit
- Find out how to apply proven writing techniques to achieve the
style you need for your writing
- Learn to be clear, concise and accurate
- Discover how to use words more effectively to market your
organisation or sell a product
- Develop key report writing skills
- Understand more about style and tone
- Improve your grammar
- Become a better editor.
- This course will have a strong marketing element, looking at
the psychology of selling and how to use words to influence and
persuade. The content will also cover effective report writing and
use of Plain English to write in a clear direct style.
Practical writing exercises
No writing course would be complete without the opportunity for
you to practise your developing skills. In the course of the day
you will complete short editorial exercises and write a piece of
content relating to your own work.
Content for the day will also include some of the core Plain
English ideas, looking at how to use these in a creative and open
way that will encourage writing that is dynamic, inspiring and
motivating, rather than just plain! Learn to use short sentences,
active voice and simple vocabulary. Find out more about strong
verbs, inverted pyramid, first and second person, logical flow,
headings and bullet points.
Bring your own laptop
You are welcome to bring along your own laptop to use during
exercises. There are also a number of PS computers for use but
please let us know if you need one when you book. Alternatively you
can also choose to complete exercises using pen and paper, if you
Benefits for your organisation
- More effective marketing materials
- Clearer, more accurate minutes, reports and emails
- More efficient and effective writing time
Benefits for you
- Learn how to make the most of your existing writing skills
- Develop new skills and techniques
- Become more productive and more persuasive in your
Who should attend?
Anyone who writes or edits in a work setting, whether marketing
materials, reports or correspondence.
Phillips is an experienced copywriter and digital writing
tutor, who works with organisations and individuals to help them
develop their writing skills.
Scott House, 10 South St Andrew Street, Edinburgh EH2 2AZ.
We are delighted to offer this course at a special rate:
£150+VAT (members) and £200+VAT
Book your place now by completing the booking
You may also be interested in Writing Digital
Content (23 March 2017), Welcome to
Proofreading (Wednesday 1 March 2017), and Welcome
to Copy-editing (Thursday 1 March 2017).