Further Copy-editing and Proofreading
19 June 2019
Date : Wednesday 19/6/19
Time: 9.30am to 4.30pm
Venue: Scott House, Edinburgh
About the course
This new one-day course picks up where 'Introduction to
Copy-editing' and 'Introduction to Proofreading' left off. It
assumes that delegates have attended both those courses or are
familiar with the methods and techniques they contain.
The day is divided into two:
- recognition and resolution of common copy-editing errors
- handling complex texts, including references, illustrations and
- editing to meet legal requirements and to ensure
- improving narrative while being respectful of and sympathetic
to the author's 'voice'
2. Proofreading (knowledge of the BSI symbols is an
- checking a page proof for structure and layout
- dealing with widows, and with changes that could affect
- collating the proof corrections of three other people and
resolving their disagreements
- checking a revised proof to see that all the corrections have
been made properly - and no new errors introduced!
Who should attend?
The course is suitable for those who have a basic knowledge and
some experience of these two disciplines.
We are pleased to advise that SfEP has confirmed this course is
eligible for 3 SfEP upgrade training points.
Cathy Tingle and Denise Cowle.
Cathy is the tutor for the Introduction to Copy-editing
courses on 6 March and 7 November 2019, and will lead the
copy-editing element of this Further Copy-editing and Proofreading
Denise is the tutor for the Introduction to Proofreading
courses on 5 March, 12 June and 6 November 2019. She will lead the
proofreading element of this Further Copy-editing and Proofreading
Fees and booking
£200+VAT/£175+VAT early booking (PS and SfEP members);
£280+VAT/£260+VAT early booking (non-members). Non-member registered charities get an
additional £20 discount - use code CHARITY. For early booking, book
by 8 May 2019.
Book your place on HELM TICKETS.
You may also be interested in: Introduction to Proofreading (5 March, 12 June and 6 November 2019) and Introduction to
Copy-editing (6 March and 7 November 2019).