Further Proofreading and Copy-editing
8 June 2017
This one-day course picks up where 'Welcome to Copy-editing' and
'Welcome to Proofreading' left off.
The day is divided into two:
- recognition and resolution of common copy-editing errors
- handling complex texts, including references and
- improving narrative while being respectful of and sympathetic
to the author's 'voice'
- converting text full of statistics into a table for maximum
2. Proofreading (knowledge of the BSI symbols is an
- checking a page proof for structure and layout
- dealing with widows, and with changes that could affect
- collating the proof corrections of three other people and
resolving their disagreements
- checking a revised proof to see that all the corrections have
been made properly - and no new errors introduced!
Who should attend
The course is suitable for those who have a basic knowledge and
some experience of the two disciplines and/or who have attended our
Welcome to Proofreading and Welcome to Copy-editing courses.
Margaret Aherne is a
highly experienced editor, proofreader and project manager.
Margaret is also author of a book of proofreading exercises.
£200+VAT/£175+VAT early booking (members); £280+VAT/£260+VAT
early booking (non-members). Registered
charities get an additional £20 discount. For early booking
rate, book by 27 April 2017.
Book your place now by completing the booking
Our other courses
You may also be interested in Welcome to Proofreading (1 March
2017), Welcome to Copy-editing (2 March 2017), Business Writing
Skills (28 February 2017) and Writing Digital Content (7 March and
13 June 2017).
Margaret can run proofreading and copy-editing (and other
editorial courses including managing editorial freelances)
in-house. For details, contact Joan
Lyle, our Training and Information Manager.