Introduction to Copy-editing - November
7 November 2019
Date : Thursday 7/11/19
Time: 9.30am to 4.30pm
Venue: Scott House, Edinburgh
About the course
The copy-editor is the vital link between author, publisher,
typesetter and reader, and ensures that written material is clear,
accurate and correct; that everything is there, and in the right
place; that no part of the text contradicts another part; that
nothing in the text will create legal or inclusivity problems; and
that the copy is thoroughly prepared for trouble-free typesetting.
Good copy-editing is invisible - the reader is free to concentrate
on content without being distracted by errors of fact, internal
inconsistencies, ambiguities, grammatical slips that obscure the
meaning, or howlers of phrasing.
- Who's who in the typical publishing process, and your role as a
- Who does the copy-editor work for?
- Types of copy, types of copy-editing
- Ensuring inclusive language and legal compliance
- Grammar and punctuation for copy-editors
- Tips and tricks to help ensure accuracy and consistency
Exercises deal with:
- Mark-up, coding and author queries
- Style guides and style sheets
- Lists of all types
- Illustrations: identifying and labelling; positioning in the
text; captions and credits
- Preparing accompanying documentation for the publisher
- Improving poor writing in terms of clarity, grammar and
Who should attend?
People in the publishing industry, those who want to work in
editing on a freelance basis, and anyone else who has
responsibility for the presentation of written material. Some
proofreading experience is desirable.
Cathy Tingle has many years'
experience in academic and business publications. She formally
trained in copy-editing and proofreading with Publishing Scotland
under Margaret Aherne and is now an Advanced Professional Member of
the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP).
Fees and booking
£200+VAT/£175+VAT early booking (PS and SfEP members);
£280+VAT/£260+VAT early booking (non-members). Non-member registered charities get an
additional £20 discount. Book by 26 September 2019 to get early
Book and pay online at HELM TICKETS.
This course also runs on 6 March 2019. You may also be interested in:
Introduction to Proofreading (5 March, 12 June and 6 November 2019) and Further Copy-editing and
Proofreading (19 June 2019).