Photoshop and Illustrator tips for book publishers
16 May 2019
Date : Thursday 16 May 2019
Time: 9.30am to 4.30pm
Venue: Edinburgh Training Centre, 16 St Mary's Street,
Edinburgh EH1 1SU
This course is now full. To be
added to the waiting list, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Adobe Photoshop and Adobe
Illustrator are well known as the industry standard
software used by publishers to create, adjust and manipulate
graphics for books and magazines.
This course is intended for new or light users of
Photoshop and Illustrator who want to gain speed and confidence and
be sure they are working in the most efficient way.
This is a hands-on practical course where attendees
are led though exercises by experienced publishing software trainer
Ken Jones. Topics include:
- Selection tips and techniques
- Using smart objects and smart filters in a non-destructive
- Combining, grouping and managing layers
- Transparency and blend modes
- Text effects and combining text and images
- Placing, pasting, linking and embedding artwork
- Adjustment layers
- Understanding and working with layer and vector masks
- Tool tips, shortcuts and presets
- Image trace and compound paths
- Pathfinder, symbols and appearance
- Swatches, spot colours, gradients
- Creating and running actions in Photoshop and Illustrator
- Working across Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign using CC
Libraries and Adobe Bridge.
- Overview of colour settings, resolution and resampling
Please bring a PC or Mac laptop to join in
the exercises (a PC can be provided by the venue for an extra fee
but it is not able to provide Apple iMacs). Ahead of the
course you will receive information about which software tools you
need to download onto your laptop.
The course is led by Ken
Jones a publishing software expert with over ten
years' experience as Technical Production Manager, software trainer
and developer at Penguin Group UK. He is the mastermind behind
Circular Software, which offers workflow advice, software tools and
training to improve how publishers produce their illustrated print
and digital books.
The fee is £225+VAT /£210+VAT early booking (members);
£295+VAT/£275+VAT early booking (non-members). Non-members that are
charities can get an additional £20 charity discount - use code
CHARITY. Book by 2 April 2019 to get early booking
rates. If you wish to use a PC provided by the Edinburgh
Training Centre (ETC), this will cost an additional
BOOK AND PAY ON HELM TICKETS
You may also be interested in InDesign: Marketing Materials (14
May) and Advanced InDesign techniques for book
publishers (15 May).
This course is also being run by BookMachine in London on 21 May 2019.