Welcome to Proofreading - March
1 March 2017
Date : Wednesday 1/3/17
Time: 9.30am to 4.30pm
Venue: Scott House, Edinburgh
About the course
No previous knowledge is required for this one-day introduction
to proofreading. Through practical exercises using a variety of
accessible texts, the course aims to teach students the basic
proofreading skills and to help them feel comfortable with the
methods of ensuring that a document is correct in both content and
layout. The materials will be provided both on paper and digitally:
students are welcome to bring their own laptops if they wish to do
the exercises on screen. (Note: the course will use Adobe Reader
Discussion will include:
- The art of proofreading
- Proofreading and reading - what's the difference?
- Correcting paper proofs using the British Standard proofreading
- Correcting PDFs on screen using Adobe Reader, and
'proof-editing' using MS Word
- Style sheets
- A methodical approach to checking for consistency
- Carrying over information or queries
- What can go wrong
Practical exercises on the day will cover:
- Accuracy - developing error-spotting techniques
- Marking errors and omissions, on paper and on screen
- Changing the appearance of the text
- Correcting problems with spacing and alignment
- Ensuring consistency in layout and sequencing
- Checking that the content makes sense!
You will take away a folder of handouts and model answers to the
exercises, for reference and as examples of good practice.
Who should attend
People who write material and/or check written documents and
want to improve their proofreading skills. The course is suitable
for those with no previous formal experience or who have
responsibility for the presentation of documents and wish to
develop their skills in a more formal way.
Margaret Aherne is a
highly experienced editor, proofreader and project manager.
Margaret is also author of a book of proofreading exercises.
£200+VAT/£175+VAT early booking (members); £280+VAT/£260+VAT
early booking (non-members). Registered
charities get an additional £20 discount. For early booking
rate, book by Friday 27 January 2017.
Book your place now by completing the booking
Our other courses
You may also be interested in Welcome to
Copy-editing (2 March 2017), Business Writing
Skills (28 February 2017) and Writing
Digital Content (23 March 2017).
Margaret can run proofreading and copy-editing (and other
editorial courses including managing editorial freelances)
in-house. For details, contact Joan
Lyle, our Training and Information Manager.