A new Sustainability Industry Forum (SIF) has been launched by six book trade organisations with the aim of collaborating to reduce environmental impacts.
SIF’s overarching remit will be Publishing Declares, a series of pledges launched by the PA last year for companies to sign up to. Four working groups building on previous sustainability research will focus on:
- supply chain, including transportation and use of plastics
- end-of-life treatment of books, including returns and disposal
- paper and printing
- book finishes and raw materials
The organisations involved are:
- Association of Authors’ Agents
- Booksellers Association
- Book Industry Communications
- Independent Publishers Guild
- Publishers Association
- Society of Authors
For more information, see Sian Bayley’s article Trade groups join forces for first time in industry-wide drive to tackle environmental impact in The Bookseller 23 June 2022.