The Saltire Society, organisers of Scotland’s National Book Awards, have announced the shortlists for the three industry awards: 2022 Publisher of the Year and Emerging Publisher of the Year, which are presented in partnership with Publishing Scotland, and Book Cover Design of the Year, which celebrates the enormous talent in Scottish design and the importance of the relationship between the designer, publisher and author.
The winners will be announced on Thursday 8 December 2022.
The Publisher of the Year Award supports Scottish publishing and aims to recognise and promote the work of Scottish publishers as an important element in the ecology of Scottish Literature. The 2022 Shortlisted publishers are:
- 404 Ink
- Canongate Books
- Charco Press
- Edinburgh University Press.
The Emerging Publisher of the Year Award is presented in partnership with Publishing Scotland and aims to recognise and encourage the work of an individual in the early stages of their publishing career as they develop their skills and experience in the industry. The Shortlisted Emerging Publishers for 2022 are:
- Deziree Wilson, Editor at Scottish Mountaineering Press
- Hannah McGeechan, Production and Metadata Controller at Canongate Books
- Harley Griffiths, Senior Commissioning Editor, Times Books at HarperCollins Publishers
- Peter Burnett, Publisher at Leamington Books
- Robert Lovell, General Manager at Scottish Mountaineering Press.
Shortlisted for the 2022 Book Cover Design of the Year are:
- Robert Dalrymple for Alison Watt: A Portrait Without Likeness published by National Galleries of Scotland
- Luke Bird for Blind Spot: Exploring and Educating on Blindness published by 404 Ink
- Mark Mechan for The Sweetness of Dreams published by Vagabond Voices.
Sarah Mason, Director of the Saltire Society, said: “The 2022 Publisher, Book Cover and Emerging Publisher Awards shortlists demonstrate the wealth of industry talent in Scotland across fields and the Saltire Society’s commitment to uncover the emerging talents who will ensure the future of Scottish publishing. We are excited to announce the 2022 recipients of Scotland’s National Book Awards at our ceremony on 8 December and to celebrate with Scotland’s literary community.”
Marion Sinclair, Chief Executive of Publishing Scotland, said “We are delighted to sponsor this category once again. It highlights new entrants into our industry and what can be achieved in a short time – from making a mark within a larger company, to setting up and leading the field in a small company. It’s inspirational to see the publishers of the future.”
The shortlists for the book awards were announced on 14 November. Winners of all of Scotland’s National Book Awards will be announced at the Traverse Theatre in Edinburgh on the evening of 8 December at an event attended by the judges, shortlisted authors and publishers. The ceremony will be live-streamed and tickets to watch online are available on www.saltiresociety.org.uk.