BIC: An Introduction to Production
November 1 @ 1:30 pm - November 2 @ 4:30 pm
Special offer for Publishing Scotland members: attend BIC training courses at the preferential Friends of BIC rates. This is a full day course which will be delivered in two, half-day online training sessions: 1.30pm–4.30pm on Tuesday 1st and Wednesday 2nd November 2022. Register here.
Purpose of the Course
Aimed at those new to book production, this course provides an interactive introduction to how books are made, looking at the whole process including repro, colour management, the different print and binding methods within the book industry, and the language used. It focuses on the role of production, how individuals can add value to it, and how to avoid some of the potential pitfalls of the production process.
Benefits of Attending
Delegates will hear from an industry expert on a broad range of subjects and learn how to apply this knowledge in their day-to-day role. They will be provided with the tools to be proactive in their role, better express requirements, and solve or even prevent problems efficiently.
This course has a practical emphasis, ensuring that all theoretical elements are accompanied by a practical application. Where appropriate, each section will contain a problem-solving element to enable delegates to gain an understanding of the potential pitfalls, how to avoid them and how to spot them if they do occur.
To ensure our attendees get the most out of the day, we limit the number of delegates for this course to 10.
This course is aimed at those who are new to book production, those who have learnt ‘on the job’ and those who would like to work in this field. It will provide a deeper understanding of the techniques and processes involved in the production and manufacture of books.
The topics covered will include
- The publishing business model and how you can affect its profitability
- Where production fits into the business and how you can influence it
- How the decisions made in production can support the publishers sustainability and social responsibility targets
- Pre-press and how decisions made at this point can impact the print cost and the quality of the finished book
- The different print methods, when to use them and how to choose the right one for your book
- The different types of paper available and how they can impact the cost and look of your book
- The different binding methods, their pros and cons, and the impact they have on design
- The cover finishes available, their uses and limitations
- How a book gets to the customer
- How to select a supplier and request a quote
- What to consider when scheduling a book
- How to solve problems at each stage of the process
Tuesday 1st and Wednesday 2nd November 2022 – two half days – register here. This is a full day course which will be delivered in two, half-day training sessions 1:30pm-4:30pm (GMT) online.
BIC Members £265 + VAT
Friends of BIC (includes Publishing Scotland members) £315 + VAT
Non Members £360 + VAT