How to Work With a Sales Team
February 28 @ 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Date: Tuesday 28 February 2023
Time: 11.30 to 12.30pm
Format: Hybrid – Scott House, Edinburgh, and online on Zoom
This session is part of Publishing Scotland’s Sales Bootcamp Training Programme
NOTE: these free places are for Publishing Scotland members only.
Getting sales for your books is a team effort with vital collaborations between a publishing house and in the field a key component to success. Sophie O’ Neill, Managing Director of Inpress Books, will guide us through best practice in working with a sales team or representative, providing essential advice in how to get the best out of a field sales team or representative while building and maintaining a trusting relationship.
With her experience in working in-house and with a field sales team, Sophie will tackle topics such as:
- Finding the right team or representative for your publishing company
- Background info on how a sales agency functions
- What sales teams want from publishers to help them do the best job
- And what a good partnership looks like
- Building support from the trade and the process of giving feedback
Book your place
Publishing Scotland members can register for a place on Ticket Tailor.
About the tutor
Sophie O’ Neill is the Managing Director of Inpress Books, the UK’s specialist in selling books produced by independent publishers. She ensures the smooth running and growth of Inpress and its sister company The Poetry Book Society, making sure client publishers achieve the best possible outcomes in sales, marketing and business development. Inpress publisher sales have seen steady growth year on year for the last ten years.
Sophie brings to Inpress experience of both independent and corporate publishing. Before joining Inpress she was Head of Sales at leading independent publisher, Canongate Books. Prior to that she worked at Headline Publishing, part of the Hachette Group, starting in export sales and moving into Key Account management in the UK sales department. She is also chairperson of the board of The Writing Squad, a writer development agency focused on young writers in the North.
About Publishing Scotland’s Sales Bootcamp Training Programme
Publishing Scotland has created a free sales training programme for our members, which we will host in hybrid and online events across early 2022. The sessions will cover best practice for working with the trade so that you build lasting and effective relationships. They will suit member publishers who have been in business for 7 years or less and for new members of staff in sales and marketing who have been working with more established publishers. The sessions are:
- Successful Pitching and Presenting in Publishing, Thursdays 9 and 16 February, 11.00–12.30 (online)
- Creating a Sales Strategy for Publishers, Tuesday 14 February, 11.00–12.30 (hybrid)
- Understanding Profit and Loss, Tuesday 21 February, 11.30–12.30 (online)
- How to Work with a Sales Team, Tuesday 28 Feb, 11.30–12.30 (hybrid)
- Sell More Books with Metadata, Tuesday 14 March, 11.30–12.30 (hybrid)
- How to Sell eBooks, Tuesday 28 March, 11.30–12.30 (online)
You may also be interested in Meta Advertising Essentials for Publishers on Wednesdays 25 January and 1 February which is being run for Publishing Scotland by BookMachine. The fee is only £35+VAT.