The Mo Siewcharran Prize is a new annual award
for unpublished fiction writers from Black, Asian and Minority
Run by Changing the Story, Hachette UK's
Diversity and Inclusivity initiative, it hopes to discover and
nurture talent from under-represented backgrounds writing in
English and to give those writers the opportunity to be published
by Hachette UK, a leading publishing house on the global stage.
Mo Siewcharran had a wonderful career in publishing and was much
loved by friends and colleagues across the industry. She was
the Director of Marketing and Communications for sixteen years at
Nielsen Book and was instrumental as a behind-the-scenes figure.
Prior to working at Nielsen Book, Mo worked at Penguin Random
House, where she met her husband John Seaton, whose generosity has
helped to establish the prize.
Mo spent her life with books, and this prize has been created to
honour her memory as a woman of colour in the publishing industry
who wanted to set an example to the next generation.
- 1st Prize - £2,500 prize money plus the opportunity of a
publishing deal* with Dialogue Books
- 2nd Prize - £1,500 prize money plus a hamper of books
- 3rd Prize - £750 prize money plus a hamper of books
*subject to contract
The closing date for entries is 12 July
For full details and the entry form, see the Little Brown website.
- 30 April 2019 - submissions open
- 12 July 2019 - Submissions close
- 6 September 2019 - Longlist chosen by THRIVE announced
- 22 October 2019 - Shortlist announced
- 4 November 2019 - Winner and Runners-Up announced at a ceremony
at Carmelite House, London EC4Y 0DZ, co-hosted by Nielsen Book