HarperCollins UK: Editorial Project Leader
Apply for this fixed-term role by Sunday 11 June 2023.
Editorial Project Leader (12 months Maternity Cover)
Location: Glasgow, UK
Closing date: 11:59pm, 11th Jun 2023 BST
Overall Purpose of Role
- Manage the creation and delivery of a suite of projects (print and digital) from the Reference and/or Languages areas of the business, through all editorial stages from project set-up to final (print or file) supply.
- Day-to-day management of agreed project budgets, balancing internal and external resources to deliver products to agreed schedules.
- Overseeing all editorial aspects of the project and ensuring quality and consistency of the final product is adhering to brand values and fit for purpose in the market.
- Engaging and managing external suppliers to deliver specific key elements of the project including (but not exclusive to) authoring, peer reviewing, copyediting, proofreading, illustrating, acquiring permission, typesetting and design.
- Undertaking own editorial work where schedule allows or if suitable freelance resource is not easily available.
- Time management and prioritisation to manage a portfolio of projects at the same time.
- In consultation with Commissioning Editors, recruit, brief and manage authors and freelancers effectively, including external project managers where necessary
- Proactively investigate options for outsourcing elements of individual projects
- Deliver projects (print and digital) to time, budget and a high standard
- Estimate and create costings and adhere to plant spend during project
Editorial Content Delivery:
- Oversee the correct editorial input, compilation and checking as job requires
- Consult and work with commissioning editor on concept and how best to develop it into a product
- Consult and work with commissioning editor on product, editorial and design briefs
- Review draft manuscripts, commission peer review and liaise with author over revisions
- Consult with designers to develop design template and deliver sample materials that meet agreed brief
Prepress and Postpress Supervision:
- Oversee the required prepress elements of the job
- Ensure all contributor copies are received in a timely manner
- Keep accurate and up-to-date records of any errors and omissions reported
- Ensure all assets are received from external suppliers for archiving
- Liaise with other departments – Contracts, Sales, Marketing and Production – to provide timely information
- Attend and participate in all relevant meetings related to the project(s) at hand.
- Production of appropriate and timely sales and marketing materials
- Project management, general editorial skill, freelancer management.
- Skilled editor, eye for detail, communicator, calm under pressure, proactive problem solver, organised and able to prioritise and manage time and budgets.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent (or proven work experience).
- Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), Digital publishing, authoring, knowledge of cartography, knowledge of linguistics
- Creative, interest in Geography, Languages or Education.
- Hybrid working model (2+ days in the office)
- 28 days holiday plus bank holidays (option to buy and sell holiday days)
- Enhanced pay for maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave
- Private healthcare cover and life assurance
- Summer Hours
- Free access to HeadSpace, employee assistance programme (24 hour helpline), mental health first aiders, and a wellbeing portal
- Season ticket loans (from day 1 for entry level) and cycle to work scheme
- Relocation Rent Support Loan
- Employee networks: HC All In (open forum), Elevate (for ethnic minority colleagues), HarperParents, Menopause at Work and Pride at HC
- Unlimited training on our Learning and Development portal, management courses (up to MA level) and mentoring programmes
- Virtual GP and eyecare vouchers
- Gym membership discount
- Charitable donation matching and 2 volunteering days
- We’re a certified Carbon Neutral company
- Free e-books and audiobooks, newspaper subscriptions and discounts on books
- Onsite prayer room
If you wish to discuss anything regarding this position and/or your application to this role, please reach out directly to our Talent Acquisition Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading ‘Vacancy Query’ plus the job title and we will aim to get back to you within 5 working days.
Please apply via this link.