The knowledge bank
Get informed about sustainability
BIC’s Green Hub
A great place to start is BIC’s green hub.
This BIC initiative is designed as a resource for the book industry where they will share information on how to be greener and showcase what BIC is doing to help organisations achieve that.
Watch BIC’s Green Brunch series and you will have a much better idea of where the industry’s most significant carbon footprints are and what improvements are being made. Each recording lasts around an hour and each hour is an hour well spent. They are:
- Green Book Production: Materials Matter (24 June 2020)
- Reducing Waste for a More Environmentally-Friendly Supply Chain (21 August 2020)
- The Environmental Impact of Distribution & Freight (23 October 2020)
- How Green is your Digital Content? (25 March 2021)
- Green Book Supply Chain 101 sponsored by Publishing Scotland (24 February 2022)
Book Covers. Publishers are increasingly concerned about the environmental impact of certain finishes used for book covers. Some finishes are being phased out or no longer used eg glitter. See Book covers under the spotlight as publishers weigh up environmental impact by Sian Bayley in The Bookseller 29 March 2022.