Design and typesetting:
- I have 20+ years experience in designing and typesetting books, including fiction, non-fiction, reference, educational and foreign language books.
- Other subject areas include: art, craft, gardening, environmental, puzzles, poetry, novels, biography and different types of books for children.
- I typeset in Adobe InDesign and Arbortext 3B2.
- I can work from a variety of original data formats including Word, Excel and coded data like XML.
- I work with a variety of plug-ins for InDesign when typesetting scientific and maths projects, and right-to-left languages.
- Good understanding of automation techniques including grep functions, and the creation of templates.
- I have worked on a number of publishing-related branding projects – books, logos, stationery, website etc.
- Experienced in clearing print/digital rights and negotiating fees/rights from a wide variety of sources, and have a large list of industry contacts.
- Commissioning of illustrators and photographers.
- Very experienced in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
- Metadata input.
- Can work with publishers’ in-house DAM systems, including remotely.
- Experience of visiting organisations to explain how copyright and image permissions work.
Languages I have experience in typesetting:
English, Scots Gaelic, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Hindi, Norwegian, Polish, Latin, Greek, Romanian, Ukrainian, Indonesian, Turkish, Russian, Thai, Hebrew, Turkmen, Kurdish.
Hodder Education, Harper Collins, Oxford University Press, Edinburgh University Press, Rising Stars, Chambers, Harrap, Canongate, Birlinn, Bloomsbury, Larousse, Houghton Mifflin, Leckie & Leckie, Whittles.