Project: Accelerate Programme for Emerging Publishers
This exciting programme of advice, training and support from
Publishing Scotland is for publishing companies who are in the
early stages of their development and want a helping hand to grow
their business. Nine publishers took part in the 2017-18 Programme.
We aim to run it again in 2020-21 and will put full details here
later in 2019.
The nine companies that took part in the 2017-18 Accelerate
Programme were: 404 Ink / Cranachan / Curly
Tale Books / Little Door Books / Rowan Tree Publishing / Sainted Media / Scotland Street Press / Stòrlann / Swan
By taking part, the participating companies were able to fast
track their growth by acquiring knowledge, contacts and confidence
that usually take years to build. With that as the guiding
principle, we built a programme that incorporated the essentials
and was delivered by some of the most knowledgeable, experienced
and inspiring professionals we've come across.
The 2017-18 programme is set out below.
PUBLISHING SCOTLAND ACCELERATE PROGRAMME FOR EMERGING
April to June 2017
- Publishing needs audit - individual date in April/May to be
agreed with each participating company (Marion Sinclair and Joan
Lyle of Publishing Scotland)
- Finance workshop - Kate Gibb (Canongate Books): 10 May
- Nielsen Publisher Seminar (Edinburgh): 15 June 2017
- Rights workshop - Lynette Owen: 20 June 2017
September to December 2017
- Business plan workshop - Martin Redfern: Tuesday 5
- *Introduction to Marketing workshop - Gill Tasker: Tuesday 3
- *Copywriting workshop (afternoon) - Hilary Phillips: Tuesday 3
- *Contracts workshop - Kevin Stewart: Thursday 26 October
- Production and print talks - Caroline Gorham (Canongate Books)
and Clays: Thursday 23 November 2017
- Distribution and sales - BookSource (Cambuslang): by individual
- A final session on sales and rights with Publishing Scotland
and BookSource staff and publishers speakers -
Sales: Jim Chalmers, BookSource and Vikki Reilly,
Publishing Scotland and Rights: Andrea Joyce,
Canongate Books; Janne Moller, Black & White Publishing; and
Katy Lockwood-Holmes, Floris Books.