Further Copy-editing and Proofreading - November
3 November 2020
Date : Tuesday 3 November 2020
Time: 9.30am to 4.30pm
Venue: Scott House, Edinburgh
About the course
This one-day course picks up where 'Introduction to
Copy-editing' and 'Introduction to Proofreading' left off. It
assumes that delegates have attended both those courses or are
familiar with the methods and techniques they contain.
The day is divided into two:
- recognition and resolution of common copy-editing errors
- handling complex texts, including references, illustrations and
- editing to meet legal requirements and to ensure
- improving narrative while being respectful of and sympathetic
to the author's 'voice'
2. Proofreading (knowledge of the BSI symbols is an
- checking a page proof for structure and layout
- dealing with widows, and with changes that could affect
- collating the proof corrections of three other people and
resolving their disagreements
- checking a revised proof to see that all the corrections have
been made properly - and no new errors introduced!
Who should attend?
The course is suitable for those who have a basic knowledge and
some experience of these two disciplines.
Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP)
We are pleased to advise that CIEP has confirmed this course is
eligible for 3 CIEP upgrade training points.
Cathy Tingle and Denise Cowle.
Cathy is the tutor for the Introduction to Copy-editing
courses on 25 March and 24 September 2020, and will lead the
copy-editing element of this Further Copy-editing and Proofreading
Denise is the tutor for the Introduction to Proofreading
courses on 24 March, 10 June and 23 September 2020. She will lead
the proofreading element of this Further Copy-editing and
Fees and booking
£200+VAT/£175+VAT early booking (PS and CIEP members);
£280+VAT/£260+VAT early booking (non-members). Non-member registered charities get an
additional £20 discount - use code CHARITY. For early booking,
book by 22 September 2020.
Book online using the booking
form. You will be invoiced and payment can be made by
BACS or credit card.
This course will also run on 17 June 2020. You may also be interested in:
Introduction to Proofreading (18 March, 10 June and 23 September 2020) and Introduction to
Copy-editing (11 June and 24 September 2020).