Introduction to Proofreading - November/December
29 November 2021
Date: Monday 29 November and Thursday 2, Monday 6 and Thursday
9 December 2021
Time: 10.00 am to 11.30 am
Format: Online (Zoom)
About the course
We will deliver the course over four days, with a total of 6
hours of online time, including short exercises for people to do on
The online delivery platform is Zoom which many people will be
No previous knowledge is required for this one-day introduction
to proofreading. Through practical exercises using a variety of
accessible texts, the course aims to teach students the basic
proofreading skills and to help them feel comfortable with the
methods of ensuring that a document is correct in both content and
layout. The materials will be provided digitally.
Discussion will include:
- The art of proofreading
- Proofreading and reading - what's the difference?
- Correcting proofs using the British Standard proofreading
- Correcting PDFs on screen using Adobe Reader
- Style sheets
- A methodical approach to checking for consistency
- Carrying over information or queries
- What can go wrong
Practical exercises on the day will cover:
- Accuracy - developing error-spotting techniques
- Marking errors and omissions, on paper and on screen
- Changing the appearance of the text
- Correcting problems with spacing and alignment
- Ensuring consistency in layout and sequencing
- Checking that the content makes sense!
You will be have access to a folder of handouts and model
answers to the exercises, for reference and as examples of good
Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP)
We are pleased to advise
that CIEP has confirmed this course is
eligible for 3 CIEP upgrade training points.
Who should attend
People who write material and/or check written documents and
want to improve their proofreading skills. The course is suitable
for those with no previous formal experience or who have
responsibility for the presentation of documents and wish to
develop their skills in a more formal way.
Denise Cowle is a copy-editor and
proofreader based in Glasgow. She is an Advanced Professional
Member of the CIEP, and currently serves on their council as
marketing director. Denise is also a tutor for the CIEP
proofreading and copy-editing online courses.
Fees and booking
£150+VAT (PS and CIEP members); £200+VAT (non-members). Discount
for BookMachine members (25%) with discount code.
BOOK AND PAY ON TICKET
TAILOR. Booking will close at midnight on Wednesday 24
You may also be interested in Introduction to
Copy-editing, Further Copy-editing and Further